Summer is here and the heat warnings have already been issued! Keeping your home cool and saving money on energy costs, is a battle we all fight this season. Here's some tips to keep your home energy efficient.
Air Conditioning: If you need to get your A/C serviced, now is the time. A check-up is always cheaper than dealing with a sudden emergency.
- Have them also check your temperature splits, to make sure your not losing precious cold air anywhere between the unit and the interior vents.
- Replace your filter every month too! Don't use a thick filter, it makes your A/C work harder.
Programable Thermostat: your power company probably has a 'peak usage' timeframe, so program your air conditioning to that schedule. When you're away from home, bump the temperature up. Then have it bump down a few degrees, an hour before you usually get home.
Seal it up! Think of your home as an envelope, we want to make sure it is all sealed up!
- Check the weather stripping on your doors, if you can see light, then you need to adjust your seals.
- Take your A/C vents off and calk the space between the duct and drywall.
- Check your attic insulation for gaps or leaks.
- Get a home energy audit from APS or SRP.
Check your Fans: make sure your ceiling fans are rotating counter clockwise during the summer. This moves the hot air down with the cooler air, creating a more even temperature.
Suncreens: keeping the sunlight from entering your house is the best way to keep it cool. So investing in sunscreens on all your windows, helping to lower your energy bills. Plus you'll have some more privacy with the blinds are open!